Home History Budokan Dojo Successfully Opens in 1968

Budokan Dojo Successfully Opens in 1968

Original Issue Date: Jan. 31, 1968

Translated by The North American Post Staff

Budokan Judo Dojo celebrated its opening at the former Main Bowl site at 8:30 p.m. on Feb. 3. The new dojo attracted a full house of guests and visitors, though the night was unusually stormy.

The large, new judo dojo can proudly be the best in the United States, having 47 white-tatami mats.   

The opening dedication ceremony began at 9 p.m. as 17 dojo officers and guests lined up at the north side of the dojo.

After guest introductions, Dojo President Ninomiya gave a short speech expressing appreciation for community support and attendance of the opening ceremony.

Jack Koyama, who represented Judo Northwest; Shiraishi, from Portland Dojo, and other dojo representatives including those from Tacoma Dojo celebrated the Budokan’s opening.

After the officers and dojo members participated in a practice session, Ninomiya, fourth black belt, and Kobuki, third black belt, demonstrated judo forms and techniques, which gave a strong impression to attendees.

After the demonstration, coffee and tea were served and a short film about judo was shown. The ceremony ended around 10 p.m.

Previous articleKing County to Observe Day of Remembrance
Next articleGrover Yamane, MD
Avatar
The North American Post is a community newspaper that celebrates Japanese culture in the Greater Seattle area. Founded by 1st generation Japanese-Americans in 1902, the publication is one of the oldest minority-owned newspapers in the region. Today, with bilingual articles in English and Japanese, the publication connects readers with diverse cultural backgrounds to Seattle’s Japanese community. Our articles include local news, event calendars, restaurant reviews, Japanese cooking recipes, community interviews, and more.